The RCSP was created as a non-profit making umbrella organization in 2004 with an objective to set up a plat-form for information sharing and consultation between CSOs and their partners. The Platform is composed of 14 national umbrellas of NGOs and one individual NGO. It has a total number of more than 800 member organizations. The idea of setting up this Platform came from various CSOs with a desire to work together and to contribute to the integral development of the country.
In a country geared towards democracy and good governance like Rwanda, the RCSPF plays a key role in coordinating the monitoring of government policies and programs and in providing feedback to improve policy formulation and implementation. Its main objectives are as follows:
– Promote solidarity and harmonious relations between the members of the CSO;
– Analyze the major challenges faced by the Rwandan population and adopt common positions and strategies to address the challenges;
– Set up and maintain an information system to enable CSO to achieve their mission, acting in close collaboration with all partners;
– Develop effective partnerships at national, regional and international level;
– Provide strong representation and advocacy for its members.